Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Lessons in Radiance: Mary (Mother of Jesus)

And Mary said: "My soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for he has been mindful of the humble state of his servant. From now on all generations will call me blessed, for the Mighty One has done great things for me-- holy is his name. His mercy extends to those who fear him, from generation to generation. He has performed mighty deeds with his arm; he has scattered those who are proud in their inmost thoughts. He has brought down rulers from their thrones but has lifted up the humble. He has filled the hungry with good things but has sent the rich away empty. He has helped his servant Israel, remembering to be merciful to Abraham and his descendants forever, even as he said to our fathers." 
Luke 1:46-55

Mary was nothing special. Really. When we meet Mary we find her in the town of Nazareth. Today's equivalent would be... the middle of nowhere. Even Nathanael said " Can anything good come out of Nazareth?" (Jn 1:45-46) when Philip told him the he had found the Messiah and that he was a Galilean from Nazareth. She was a young girl (yes, a teenager) who was pledged to be married to Joseph, a carpenter. She did have some illustrious ancestors..but so did Joseph. They were both of the bloodline of David but Joseph's line was a bit more prestigious as his family came through the royal line of Solomon while Mary's came through  Nathan, one of David's other sons. She was just an ordinary girl who was loved by an extraordinary God. Just like me and you.

Most of us know the story. Mary is just hanging out waiting to get married...because that is what you did. When, poof an angel comes out of heaven to let Mary know that she should not be afraid but that she is going to have a baby. Mary is a little confused being that she is not married yet and asks in wonder how this will happen. The angel replies through the Holy Spirit she will give birth to the Son of God. And Mary says "Let it be to me according to your word." (Luke 1:38).
WHAT?!?
Oh, that I could be as ordinary as Mary!
See in that very moment without hesitation, without question, without doubt...Mary willingly and graciously submitted to the will of God. She knew the embarrassing and difficult position that she was going to be in, the fingers that would be pointed, the possibility of death...but she never hesitated to put her life in God's hands. And then she sang!
I love music and I love the praise and honor and glory that Mary gives to God and to Him alone in Luke 1. I love that in the middle of her "crisis" (well that's what we would call it) that she praises God, shadowing scripture from the Old Testament (see below for further study). She is such a great example to us all. Mary teaches us that God makes us radiant. Mary teaches us that with God nothing is impossible (Luke 1:37). Mary teaches us that we are blessed because of God. 



I love the song "Who am I?" by Casting Crowns...here are some of the words: "Who am I? That the Lord of all the earth would care to know my name (Isa 43:1), would care to feel my hurt?(2 Cor 1:3-5) Who am I? That the eyes that see my sin, would  look on me with love and watch me rise again? (Rom 5:8)." I am learning daily who I am and I am reminded through this song that God answers "Not because of who you are, or because of what you have done; but because of who I am and because of what I've done..you are mine!"
~ Donna




For Further Study:
Luke 1:46 - see 1 Samuel 2:1, Ps 34:2, Ps 35:9, and Isa 61:10
Luke 1:47 - see Isa 12:2, Isa 45:21
Luke 1:48 - see 1Sam 1:11, Ps 102:17, Ps 136:23, Genesis 30:13, Mal 3:12
Luke 1:49 - see Ps 71:19, Ps 126:3, 1Samuel 2:2, s 111:9, Isa 57:15
Luke 1:50 - see Ps 130:11, Ps 103:17, Isa 51:8
Luke 1:51 - see Ps 89:13, Ps 98:1, Isa 52:10. Ps 89:10, Gen 8:21
Luke 1:52 - 1 Sam 2:6-8, Job 34:24
Luke 1:53 - see Ps 107:9
Luke 1: 54-55 - see Ps 98:3, Isa 44:21, Mic 7:20, Ps 105:6-9

References: "Twelve Extraordinary Women" by John MacArthur

No comments:

Post a Comment