Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Serving Grace = Becoming Grace


Satan has been on me lately. Telling me that I am not beautiful, that I cannot change my eating habits, and that I am just not good enough to run a half marathon. Despite my daily posts of joy and thanks, Satan has been stealing my joy a little at a time and I know it. He wants me to doubt me, to doubt God and to not give thanks....he wants me not to be or feel blessed.

Why? Because if I do not feel blessed then I cannot bless others. In Genesis 12: 1-3, God speaks directly to Abram and was telling him to go simply stating “leave your country to a land that I will show you” and then, God said “I will bless you...and you will be a blessing”. God did not tell Abram where he was going, just to simply leave and go. An endless possibility of locations but with a promise that he would be a blessing, a “father of nations.”

In her book “One Thousand Gifts”, Ann Voscamp recounts once again the mess that she comes home to, the piles of laundry and the thousand endless jobs that she has to do day in and day out. But, she counts them as gifts to serve, chances to become grace, and turn the endless into gifts a thousand times over. She says “ I look into the reflection in the splattered mirror and whisper to those eyes; yes, today, again, yes, you can bless!” We need to become “a current in the river of grace that redeems the world.” The way to be a blessing? To accept the Blessing. To accept the grace. To reach out to those who have blessed you. To become grace. Becoming the love of God and blessing those He loves.

Today, I got “nothing” done....well “nothing” that I was planning on doing. But I did a lot. See God has blessed me and because of His blessings, I was able to bless another. To be a friend, a support, a gift of grace that I had not planned on being today for someone plus more! But becoming grace is not always about doing, but by our being we can show that we are the beloved of God. I pray today that in thanks for all the gifts that God has given me, that He will continue to make me a gift, because becoming a blessing is what deeply blesses. In order to serve grace, we simply must become grace.
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment