Monday, July 7, 2014

Balance In This Place

Balance.
It's the one word prayer that I came home from our family beach vacation whispering.
In a world where most of us overindulge and seek more and more of the good life, I say, "Lord, give me balance."
Preparing to leave for our vacation time takes some preparation on my part. I am the planner of the family. I locate the place, make the reservations, pick a time to leave, coordinate our work schedules and our children's schedules, pack the bags, prepare the car for all our needs and at the end of it all I feel like I am definitely ready for a vacation!

It's a balancing act.

In the moments before we depart, I wonder. What am I forgetting?
The cat? Check!
The thermostat? Check!
The lights? Check!

As I grab the last few items from the kitchen table I know that whatever I leave behind will not be sorely missed. And if need be in this world of Walmart, Dollar Tree and grocery stores we are able to run around the corner to grab what we "need". Unless it's a trip to Okracoke or Sunset Beach! Then you realize that you can live without eight pairs of flip flops and seven scents of body lotion!

Balance.

When the car pulls into our destination and all our "essential" belonging are unpacked I spy that one place I know will provide my balance during our vacation frenzy. That one place that I found last year on the early morning rise when all other heads stayed laid in the bed. There it is, my little place for balance. The swing... an invitation to come...tucked in the shade...overlooking the sea...perfect sights and sounds provided by the Creator. Add one me, one bible, One Jesus. Balance.

I invite Him in to join me on my adventure to seek the kingdom first.
Before the feet are in the sand.
Before the hunt for my shells.
Before the trip to the seafood buffet.
Before the putt putt games and the shopping excursions.
Before I let the rest of the world enter and take away the balance.
He anchors my soul, sure and steadfast, He offers me rest, nourishment, peace, love, joy, hope.
So when the calls come in from the outside world, the world of ups and downs, twists and turns, and all that we let offset our balance I am attached. Attached to the anchor. My unwavering Christ.
 
 
My Balance. My Rock. My Anchor.
Present when the call comes about illness. Present when the storm brews in the distance. Present when the uncertainty of here looms in the night.
He offers Balance.
Rest for the weary,
Strength for the weak,
Hope for the hopeless,
Love to the lonely.
Balance.
 
And while I seek the kingdom and long for balance, there are others in need of this treasure as well. He sees them well before I see. He knows them long before I know. He spots the worn, the weary, the broken, the torn. He offers guaranteed promises:
"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."
Isaiah 41:10
 

He sees what I see as whole. He notices the fragile that I overlook. He tends to the frayed well before I even see the tattered. And he gives light to darkness.
And he whispers in the wind, "Behold, I am with you and will keep you wherever you go" Genesis 28:15.
He speaks through the warmth of the sun and says, "behold, I am freeing you today from the chains which are on your hands...come along, and I will look after you" Jeremiah 40:4.
In the calm after the storm He proclaims, I Am!
I am your balance. Your Rock. Your Anchor. Your God.
 
And as I unload the car and place my purple bible on the tableside I smile and thank the One who knows all my tattered, torn and battered places for the balance He offers, the rest He gives, the love He showers, the light He shines.
Ahh, balance. ~ Jodie

No comments:

Post a Comment